Keep The Music Alive!

If you'd like to purchase CD's, DVD's, or just donate to the cause, you can do so easily through PayPal by clicking here - Blue Ridge Memories


For other ways to pay, please email me at blueridgememories@aol.com

Search This Blog

Thursday, February 23, 2017

I Know

Although other Southern Gospel groups (Oak Ridge Boys in particular) recorded "I Know" and had success with it, our Blue Ridge Quartet were the first on both counts. Written and sung by lead singer LaVerne Tripp in 1970, and included on their "Rise And Shine" LP, it was LaVerne's first of three consecutive #1 hits.
He describes "I Know" as "the kind of song, that once you heard it, the words and the tune would ring over and over in your mind. I knew the song had what it took to be a hit. After releasing it to radio stations, even I was shocked when it shot up the charts so quickly and became the number one song in America. "I Know" broke all records in gospel music history, remaining on top of the charts for over a year." LaVerne also recalls how he felt stepping on stage right after another group had just performed his hit song. He couldn't believe the "audacity" shown in trying to upstage him. By the time they finished their first song, he decided how to handle the situation. LaVerne stepped to the edge of the stage and said "I know you just somebody else sing my song. They only think they know how to sing it. Would you like to hear how it should really be sung?"
                                             Some people say that this old time religion
                                                           Is just a thing of the past.
                                               But in this modern age that we're living
                                                      It's the only thing that will last.
                                     Now you may think that I'm a little old fashioned
                                               Well, friend, that's all right with me.
                                               But I'm so glad that I am a Christian
                                                    And from sin I have been set free.

I know, I know, there's no doubt about it

He lives in my heart and I'm gonna shout it.
I know, I know, my sins are forgiven
And I'm on my way to a place that's called Heaven.

Not long ago at an old fashioned meeting

I fell on my knees there in prayer.
He lifted my burdens, sins shackles fell from me
And His presence was so real everywhere.
Now that the load I carried is lighter,
He's changed my gray skies to blue.
My steps are now higher and I have this assurance
That His sweet love will carry me through.

Come go with me to that land over yonder

He's prepared for the pure and the true
It's a place where sickness and death cannot enter
I'm going, brother, how about you?
It may be today or may be tomorrow
He'll return in robes of pure white.
I'm packing up now getting my things together
Who knows, He might come tonight.

1 comment: